Somber November Loveliness

I found this beautiful book, A Child's Calendar, at Anthology Bookstore in Loveland recently. It seems like a fitting farewell tribute to my favorite local bookstore. I stopped by last Saturday and saw that unfortunately Anthology will be closing it's doors this month. It feels like a kind of death and it makes my heart sad.


Each spread in the book has a poem and illustration for one month of the year. So many details and observations ring true -- reminding me of childhood. I particularly enjoy the November pages...

 

November

The stripped and shapely
Maple grieves
The loss of her
Departed leaves.

The ground is hard.
As hard as stone.
The year is old,
The birds are flown.

And yet the world,
Nevertheless,
Displays a certain
Loveliness --

The beauty of
the bone. Tall God
Must see our souls
This way and nod.

Give thanks we do,
Each in his place
Around the table
During grace.



Poems by: John Updike
Illustrations by: Trina Schart Hyman











Comments

  1. I'm sorry to hear that the bookstore is closing. I know you and Steven really enjoyed it! :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts